chaingangsoldier

Create a legacy for yourself in the e-fed, watch and download wrestling or simply hang out and chat.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Hinder "Take It To The Limit" Album Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Y2J X
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran

Male Number of posts : 2435
Registration date : 2007-11-25

PostSubject: Hinder "Take It To The Limit" Album Review   Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:22 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm Y2J X and I'm currently on my post-a-thon! A post-a-thon is basically when I post a lot without using the game section for one week (not that I use the game section anyways) and my current aim is three hundred posts. Now last time I did this I garnered about two hundred posts. For the power ten, I got one hundred and ninety three posts because I don't start these on the day I need to for all to be counted on that.

Anyways, I figured, a good way to do this was to review all the albums I own, or my brother owns, or mom, or dad, etc. That's not much but I'm starting off with none other than the first album I recall getting, Hinder "Take It To The Limit". I'm a big Hinder fan, I love "Extreme Behavior" but this one isn't as good as EB was. I'll also be covering the bonus tracks, and decide whether or not it's worth getting that version. Let's start...

Track I ~ Use Me

This is easily one of the best on the entire album. Definitely, the instrumentals are pretty great, the lyrics are pretty good, I wouldn't call them weak. It runs it's course, and what I mean by that, is it doesn't end, before it should and it doesn't end long after it should. They almost perfectly nailed when the song should end, I'd probably take off a few seconds at the end. This was there first single, and rightfully so, it's basically Hinder. If you are going to pick one song on the album, that explores Hinder's sound, it's "Use Me". Really, it's almost kind of a definite song for them, as it really does showcase what they do, and it's better then how they normally do it. Like this is a really great track, the best track to start the album off.

Out Of

Track II ~ Loaded And Alone

This is the track, where you start hearing the 80s influence. What I mean, is this takes about half of a minute for Austin to start singing, now depending on your views of Hinder, that's either really good, or meh. It pisses me off a bit but whatever. The instrumentals are basically like the rest of the album, I like these a bit better then most but to me, that's not what's memorable about this song. This song is one of two songs, that has nothing to do with being in love, lust, or a relationship. This the only really void of all that. This is a song about a guy, who wants to be famous, so he leaves his family, he becomes rich but he is lonely because he left his family. The lyrics on this song are very simple, and very lazy. The first line of the first verse goes like this "Just a kid, just a fool", the first line of the second verse "Still a kid, still a fool". None of them are that bad afterwards but it just comes off as lazy to me, and the lyrics they are just really simple here. This is the first song that goes on too long, it probably should've ended like thirty seconds before it did. The vocals are nothing spectacular, it's basic Austin. This was it's fourth and final single, which I don't know why. I mean, "Heaven Sent" and "The Best Is Yet To Come" probably would work just as well if not better. So, this song is a real mix bag, because of stuff like, the song has an original meaning (for Hinder songs) but the lyrics are lazy.

Out Of

Track III ~ Last Kiss Goodbye

I really like this song, and I probably shouldn't. The chorus is really repitative, the verses are much, the pre-chorus, which also acts as a big portion of the bridge, isn't even that good. Austin's vocals at least twice, kind of slide off pitch, and it definitely should've of ended before it did, so it goes on longer than it should. The lyrics aren't as lazy, and are actually pretty good. You know, I shouldn't like this, this should be at best, a two out of five but I just like it. My heart actually hurt during one of the initial times I heard it because I felt bad, when I shouldn't of. I don't why, but I like it.

Out Of

Track IV ~ Up All Night

This song pisses me off, a lot. It's not horrendous, it's a pretty catchy, at first. About after two minutes, it starts getting quite annoying. At this point, you start feeling like you've heard these riffs before, and four songs in, that's not good. This is really not good. They basically spend over a full minute of just the chorus, that is bad. No bridge to separate the two chorus, you know like a normal song, just two choruses back to back, it fucking kills the song. The lyrics are typically lusty Hinder, but the ones and the book are worse. Here is the chorus according to their book "We're gonna be up all night, gonna take you for a ride. We're gonna be up all night, gonna get you fuckin' high. We're gonna be up all night, never make it out alive", the fucking high line was replaced by morning in the song and make it out alive was replaced by something about a devil, I've never heard that version song. Why, why is it there? I assume they changed the lyrics but never fucking changed the booklet but it pisses me off. Also they change "naked 10" to "perfect 10". Fucking why? What's the point, it's not like naked is such an awful word or that it's dirtier than anything that actually sang. This is also the third single, I guess I can see why but the song is really bad. I use to like it, but after hearing it again today, it's really bad. They're redeeming qualities though, like I said, it's catchy at first, so for a bit, it's an enjoyable tune, so I'm not going to give it a one. Also, the vocals are pretty good.

Out Of

Track V ~ Without You

This is the "Lips Of An Angel" of Take It To The Limit but it's no where as good as "Lips Of An Angel". Comparatively, "Lips Of An Angel" is better in pretty much every way there is. That being said, this isn't bad, but this really simple. Instrumentals are nothing special, but they are a break from the ones we've been getting so it's refreshing. The lyrics though, they're amazingly simple and lazy. Not a compliment, by the way. There is only six lines in this song, that aren't repeated. That's bad, and even so, the lines that are repeated are pretty simplistic. I do like it, but the lyrics definitely weigh this one down for me, keeping it from being a four.

Out Of

Track VI ~ Take It To The Limit

The title track and I have to wonder, why the hell wasn't this a single? This is that more simple catchy song that would be much better suited for a single than "Up All Night". The lyrics are, better than most so far, becuase it accomplishes what the lyrics were suppose to be. It's suppose to like it could be about a car or a women and it is. At most maybe one or two lines, give a definite answer but whatever. Now this song features Mick Mars from Motley Crue and it's not that noticeable. Like okay, Austin tells us when he solo is and it is good. Probably one of he best on the album, but it doesn't add too much to the song. I'm not wording this right, cause it is noticeable and does add but it's not like, it's worth it. It's good, and a good part of the song but it's not like you'll listen to it, waiting for the solo. Like you won't listen to this again, just to hear the solo. Anyways, good song, don't have any real problems with it.

Out Of

Track VII ~ The Best Is Yet To Come

Ironically, the songs title is a lie. Why? Because this is the best song on the album. No question, this song is amazing. It fits Hinder's style but still different, the lyrics are great, the song has a different meaning than most, and yet still includes portions of theirs typically meanings, Austin's vocals are solid, the instrumentals are solid, it's all just great. I can't think of single complaint because I like it, the more I listen to it.

Out Of

Track VIII ~ Heaven Sent

Luckily, Hinder manages to keep with the pace of "The Best Is Yet To Come". "Heaven Sent" isn't as good but it sure as hell is close. I love this song, one of Hinder's best. The instrumentals are solid, the vocals are probably at it's best, the chorus is catchy, it doesn't get annoying, I never feel like I want it to end, and the lyrics are beautiful. Maybe it's because my brain is evidently, about 60% female, but I love those lyrics, they're so beautiful, romantic in a sense. It's great.

Out Of

Track IX ~ Thing For You

All great things come to an end. Here, recently we had two great songs, now we get an absolutely bad song. At one point, I started liking it after , and in some sense, I do, but it still sucks. The instrumentals are very, very bland. Austin's vocals are more annoying than pleasant, the lyrics piss me off. Not that they are worded bad, in some cases, yeah thay are, but the meaning just pisses me off. The verses don't tranisition into the chorus well. It's awful, you want to know the sense I like it. Right after the first chorus, Austin sings "OoooOoooOoooh". It lasts four seconds but is it the best part of the song. If the entire song was that, I would love, it would at worst get a two.

Out Of

Track X ~ Lost In The Sun

"Lost In The Sun" is very basic Hinder. Very basic. Lyrics are very basic, instrumentals are very basic, it's just all basic. Is it bad, no. Is it great, no. I always look at it as kind of, "Heaven Sent" but medicore. You know like the ugly sister kind of, but with no substance what so ever either. It's the dull ugly sister of "Heaven Sent". It doesn't sound bad mind you, but there is just, it has nothing going, that's it. I can't rank this a three star or higher, because there is nothing going for it. Absolutely, nothing going for it.

Out Of

Track XI ~ Far From Home

We end off with basically, a second "Lost In The Sun". Just this song, isn't bad, but it's not really good. It's more of just there, and doesn't suck. Like with "Lost In The Sun" it doesn't anything going for it, it's just very bland. Although, this is better than "Lost In The Sun" as it does have two things I like about it. One, the bridge. The whole "And I don't know how many fights I've fought with you", I really like that part. The big thing though, and Sykesy, if you're reading this, well anyone who watches That 70's Show and heard this song, tell me if you agree, this song is like Eric and Donna's song in season 8. Eric is in Africa, to become a teacher, they keep a long distance relationship, but it's not really working out. So, he breaks up with her, and this song fits it. Eric said sorry to Donna, he would believe Donna would be better off without him, the fought a lot, and it just it fits for some reason. Donna wasn't as hostile, as the song makes the women seem, but she was really upset when he was calling Kitty more than her, so I think it works. For that reason, and bridge, alone, I'm giving this a three.

Out Of

That took so fucking long because I had to listen to them all again and I want to stop now but I can't because I promised I'll do the bonus tracks you could get. I remember them, they weren't much better. Let's start with best buy's. They have a bunch of lives, which I don't care about and won't listen, and an acoustic version of "Loaded And Alone" and "The Best Is Yet To Come"

Acoustic Loaded And Alone

This sucks. You want to know why, Austin doesn't sing it like it's acoustic. The instrumentals are acoustic, but Austin sings it like it wasn't. Like they were singing the original version. It ruins it, it's cool hearing the instrumentals. That saved it.

Out Of

Acoustic The Best Is Yet To Come

This song sounds, basically the same. I don't know why they choose a song that basically wouldn't sound any different, the only difference is Austin vocals tend to cover the instruments, so I'm knocking it down a star.

Out Of

My verdict is that Best Buy's version isn' worth it. You'll probably never listen to the lives, and the acoustics are either messed up by the vocals or just a slightly worse version of the song, but still sounds the same.

Now, onto Wal-Marts special edition. They actually have three different songs, one cover, one Extreme Behavior Outtake, and then a new one.

Thunderstruck

This is alright, for an AC/DC cover. I hate AC/DC. I hate them so much. I can't rate this highly because they don't make me love the song. Boyce Avenue, their covers, can make me love a song I hate. This cover, just makes me realize that this song is complete shit.

Out Of

Live For Today

Oh god this is bad. The lyrics, they're retarded. I bet he says "wasted" fifety times in the song. The instrumentals are bland, the vocals aren't that good, the song just sucks. Maybe I'm being too hard on this but it's a generic Hinder song (in meaning, lyrics, sound), that's overdone, and just comes out crappy. The lyrics are bad, this just bad.

Out Of

Running In The Rain

This was the Extreme Behavior Outtake, this is a great song. There actually is a reason to get the Wal-Mart version. It's an anti-suicide song, the vocals could be better but they're pretty good. The instrumentals also could be better, but it's alright. The main problem with this song, is that for me, it generates a sound, that repeat listens will only hinder the song (excuse the pun). It's not like "Lips Of An Angel" where I use to listen to the song for a month straight before I went to bed without getting sick of it, if I did that with "Running In The Rain", I'd get sick of it within three days. I could probably survive a week with most songs I like, so that's taking it's score down.

Out Of

My verdict, it's not worth unless you're an AC/DC because otherwise you're getting one good song that you probably won't listen to the much. Their "Thunderstruck" stays true to the original, so you'll probably like it if you like AC/DC.

I'm so fucking sick of this! I'm a man with a more feminite mind that keeps his word. So, the U.S. Itunes is next, apparantly.

Heartless

I should probably like one but I don't. It's the same meaning of "Last Kiss Goodbye" but I don't like this one. The verses are alright but it's the chorus that kills it. The first time, it's kind of catchy, then the second chorus hits, and it's not horrible, and then third one hits and you just want the song to end. It becomes horrible. I also don't think there is a bridge. I mean, on singed bridge and that pisses me off. They have a pre-chorus line, literrally one line, a verse, a chorus, but bridge. It pisses me off.

Out Of

One Night Stand

This isn't going to be long, this is Hinder. It's not the greatest showcase of what Hinder is but it's a decent track. Nothing to get overly excited about but I wouldn't skip it if it came on. I love the instrumentals like right before the song goes through it's just chorus phase.

Out Of

My verdict is that it's still not worth it. "Heartless" is bad, and "One Night Stand" is just average. The U.K. Itunes has "Thunderstruck" and "Heartless" that's a must avoid and the Japenese edition, has "One Night Stand" and "Running In The Rain", I would say that's the best edition to get.

This has been a Y2J X review, if you read this, I'm truly amazed. This took me too fucking long to do, and it wasn't worth it but next time I'll be reviewing, "When The World Comes Down" by The All-American Rejects (a much shorter review, hopefully).

Last edited by Y2J X on Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sykesy
"Mean is making Jess Mancini ride her bike home after I ass fucked her" - Johnny 'Drama' Chase

Male Number of posts : 8610
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Hinder "Take It To The Limit" Album Review   Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:52 pm

Great review. Do not necessarily agree with some tracks but a great review none the less.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Y2J X
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Hinder "Take It To The Limit" Album Review   Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:59 pm

Holy shit, someone read this! Thanks, and I'm glad you liked it. Do you mind me asking whichs tracks you disagreed with?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sykesy
"Mean is making Jess Mancini ride her bike home after I ass fucked her" - Johnny 'Drama' Chase

Male Number of posts : 8610
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Hinder "Take It To The Limit" Album Review   Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:04 am

nothing major

I felt Use Me was deserving of 5 Stars.
Loaded & Alone was deserving of a 4
Without you I think should have been one star ... maybe 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Y2J X
Wrestling Veteran
Wrestling Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Hinder "Take It To The Limit" Album Review   Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Sykesy wrote:
nothing major

I felt Use Me was deserving of 5 Stars.
Loaded & Alone was deserving of a 4
Without you I think should have been one star ... maybe 2

I don't like "Use Me" as much as I like "The Best Is Yet To Come" and "Heaven Sent", so it was mainly a comparative thing. "Loaded & Alones" is a mix bag for me, it has as many things that bugs me as it does that I love it. I might change "Without You" to a two, I recalled liking it more than I did when I was doing the review, so I gave it for the benefit of the doubt. I listen to it later and I might edited it to a two. Thanks again for reading.

Also, "When The World Comes Down" (my next review) will probably be up on thursday. I think I have a family thing on Wensday, and I'm trying to think of a way to do it so I don't end up giving most songs a five (as I love most of that album).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hinder "Take It To The Limit" Album Review   

Back to top Go down

Hinder "Take It To The Limit" Album Review
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1